National Organization of Minority Architecture Students
NOMAS is a student chapter of the National Organization of Minority Architects (NOMA). Its mission is to champion diversity within the design professions by promoting the excellence, community engagement, and professional development of its members. It aims to foster communications and fellowship among minority architecture students and fight discrimination that hinders academic and professional progression. NOMAS aims to be the advocates for change, inclusivity and multiculturalism within architectural education and the design profession.
Information on KU NOMAS meetings and activities can be found on its Facebook page.
KU Chapter of the American Institute of Architecture Students
The KU Chapter of the American Institute of Architecture Students is dedicated to providing students with opportunities to explore the field of architecture and experience ways in which their chosen field can lead to a successful and fulfilling career. We engage students in collaborative efforts that help further their education, develop their career paths, form productive friendships, and improve our community.
Through intentional planning, hard work, and dedication the AIAS KU accomplishes its mission and increases membership value with the following tangible benefits:
• Firm Visits: Facilitate networking
• FBD: Volunteer + become catalysts of change
• “Architecture+” Supplement traditional education with guest lectures
• General Meetings: Discuss information relevant to students
• Mock Interviews: Improve professional capability
• Portfolio Review Night: Confidently consolidate work
• Licensing Advisor + AXP: Incentivize learning and performance
• Study Abroad: Foster global appreciation
• Committees: Recognize and endorse leadership
• Membership Packets: Concentrate information on the AIAS and KU SADP
• Mentorship Program: Educate skill in underclassmen
• Creator’s Ball: Celebrate collaboration + creativity
• Computer Tutorials: Improve proficiency
• AIA Events: Develop professional relations through the AIA
• AIAS members can receive discounts for Black Spectacles, a company that provides ARE test prep and software tutorials
• .archi: Enhance students’ online presence and digital portfolio
• Membership Week: Instill enthusiasm and ignite comradery
• CHANGE wars: To promote advocacy
Please see notices in the halls for meeting times and topics.
The Kansas Association of Planning Students (KAPS) is an organization of students in the Department of Urban Planning. KAPS sponsors social events, volunteer opportunities within the community, and Brown Bag lectures. The lectures are held during the noon hour in Marvin 308. Watch for posters and announcements on KU Urban Planning's Facebook page.
We also disseminate information regarding the Kansas State APA and National APA's annual conferences, and our students often attend these events. KAPS meets about once a month during the school year and is free. If you're pursuing a Master of Urban Planning you are eligible to join.